Re: Need Some Recent Information on the Differences between Postgres and MySql

От John Gage
Тема Re: Need Some Recent Information on the Differences between Postgres and MySql
Дата
Re: Need Some Recent Information on the Differences between Postgres and MySql  (Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater@gmx.net>)
Список pgsql-general
In the words of Dwight Eisenhower, I couldn't fail to disagree with
you less.  That said...

Replying to my own post, and on further examination of the MySQL
documentation, I am astonished to discover that MySQL does not support
regular expressions much less something like tsvector.  Please
disabuse me of this idea if I am mistaken.

To me, this turns MySQL into a toy.  Regular expressions are an
extraordinarily powerful tool rooted in science that make manipulating
text data infinitely easier.  To leave them out of a system (recall
that the Macintosh is based on Unix and supports egrep, for example,
out of the box) is unbelievably backward.

Why extirpate part of your brain if you don't have to?  MySQL thus
becomes part of Gödel's inferred conspiracy to make men stupid.

John

P.S.  I am aware that MySQL has its own, roll your own, text search
capability...which adds insult to injury.

P. P. S.  I realize that there is an element of flame here.  However,
the facts are the facts and anyone wanting to judge between Postgres
and MySQL has to deal in facts.

On Jun 25, 2010, at 11:37 AM, A. Kretschmer wrote:

> I think, this is the wrong place to explain mysql-features...

Сообщение: Re: Need Some Recent Information on the Differences between Postgres and MySql
Сообщение: Re: Need Some Recent Information on the Differences between Postgres and MySql