Re: [BUGS] BUG #14814: Documentation errors for OpenBSD

От Paul Covello
Тема Re: [BUGS] BUG #14814: Documentation errors for OpenBSD
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
Thanks for the response, Tom.  I am cc’ing the OpenBSD port maintainer here just for visibility.

Port maintainer:

I am not a developer or even a DBA.  I am just an end user learning to set up PostGresql on OpenBSD 6.1.  After
installingthe package using pkg_add, I began to delve into the documentation at postgresql.org.

I got to this section on starting the server:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/server-start.html

The documentation did not match my experience (postgresql did not start) which prompted me to file a postgresql bug
report#14814 on the documentation.

Specifically, the instructions on what to put in rc.local for openbsd in the documentation says this:

if [ -x /usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl -a -x /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postgres ]; then   su -l postgres -c
'/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctlstart -s -l /var/postgresql/log -D /usr/local/pgsql/data'   echo -n ' postgresql'
fi

However, after taking the time to troubleshoot:  This is what winds up working:

if [ -x /usr/local/bin/pg_ctl -a -x /usr/local/bin/postgres ]; then   su -l _postgresql -c '/usr/local/bin/pg_ctl start
-s-l /var/postgresql/logfile -D /var/postgresql/data'   echo -n ' postgresql'
fi

Knowing that it is openbsd policy to have service names begin with an _ (underscore) and believing that the path listed
tothe executable does not seem to match the hier man page on openbsd, I thought this might be a documentation bug.

I want to save other users the time I spent figuring this out which is what brought me here.  In Tom’s response to me
below,he believes this to be a port issue.

Thanks for looking into this!

— Paul.