Re: [HACKERS] Re-indent HEAD tomorrow?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Re-indent HEAD tomorrow?
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] Re-indent HEAD tomorrow?  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 04:07:30PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> ... and it's done.

> You are eventually doing all active branches, right?

I don't think we'd entirely decided that we should do that, or when
to do it.  I'm not in a huge hurry; we might find some more tweaks
we want to make -- particularly around typedef collection -- before
we call it done.

For reference, the patchset wound up changing just about 10000 lines,
out of a total code base approaching 1.4M lines, so less than 1%
churn.  That's not as bad as I'd thought it would be going in.
But I'm not sure if that represents an argument for or against
reindenting the back branches.  It's probably more than the number of
lines affected by that 8.1 comment-right-margin adjustment that caused
us so much back-patching pain later.

Right now we're really just speculating about how much pain there will
be, on either end of this.  So it'd be interesting for somebody who's
carrying large out-of-tree patches (EDB? Citus?) to try the new
pgindent version on a back branch and see how much of their patches no
longer apply afterwards.  And I think it'd make sense to wait a few
months and garner some experience with back-patching from v10 into the
older branches, so we have more than guesses about how much pain not
reindenting will be for us.

I'd earlier suggested that waiting till around the time of 10.0
release might be a good idea, and that still seems like a
reasonable timeframe.