RE: Big 7.1 open items

От Philip J. Warner
Тема RE: Big 7.1 open items
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
At 05:59 21/06/00 +0900, Hiroshi Inoue wrote:

>Before the details of tablespace implementation,
>
>1) How to change(extend) the syntax of CREATE TABLE
>    We only add table(data)space name with some
>    keyword ? i.e Do we consider tablespace as an
>   abstraction ?

It may be worth considering leaving the CREATE TABLE statement alone.
Dec/RDB uses a new statement entirely to define where a table goes. It's
actually a *very* complex statement, but the key syntax is:

CREATE STORAGE MAP <map-name> FOR <table-name>   [PLACEMENT VIA INDEX <index-name>]   STORE [COLUMNS ([col-name,])]
[IN<area-name>    | RANDOMLY ACROSS <area-list>]

;

where <area-name> is the name of a Dec/RDB STORAGE AREA, which is basically
a file that contains one or more tables/indices etc. There are options to
specify area choice by column value, fullness, how to store BLOBs etc etc.

I realize that this is way too complex for a first pass, but it gives an
idea of where you *might* want to go, and hence, possibly, a reason for
starting out with something like:

CREATE STORAGE MAP <map-name> for <table-name> STORE IN <area-name>;

P.S. I really hope this is more cogent than my last message.

(A.C.N. 008 659 498)             |          /(@)   ______---_
PGP key available upon request,  |  /
and from pgp5.ai.mit.edu:11371   |/