Re: Starting a new project, any opinions about using 7.0?

От Lincoln Yeoh
Тема Re: Starting a new project, any opinions about using 7.0?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
At 10:11 AM 18-04-2000 -0700, Michael S. Kelly wrote:
>I'm starting a new project.  We've selected PostgreSQL and I'm wondering if
>we shouldn't just jump in with 7.0 and avoid conversion hassles later on.  I
>guess the issues for me are:
>
>1.  Stability.  How good is Beta 5 (it is 5 now isn't it?)

Haven't personally shifted over yet. But will probably do so soon - looks
like quite a number have shifted over, and the noticeable lack of screaming
and grumbling is good.

>2.  Documentation.  Are the docs ready?

Docs here seem a bit lacking on the practical stuff. But I don't dare make
too much noise in case a whole bunch of people suggest I write the docs ;).

>3.  Support.  Who out there can help when things go wrong?

It's everyone here I guess :). What I like about most open source stuff, is
that you can get real info on what works, partially works, flaky, slightly
broken and completely broken. No sales, marketing etc to get in the way
between you and the truth.

I've had way too many problems with closed source stuff, trying to get
things which officially work, but in practice don't or require undocumented
kludges.

>I'd also be interested in what you feel are the most compelling features of
>7.0.  Is it the foreign keys, the overhauled optimizer, the updated psql, or
>other features?

Compelling reasons to shift? It appears to be a significant improvement
overall and the other reason is to give the developers less of a headache
dealing with multiple versions. Can focus on fixing 7.0 to make it really
good.

The foreign keys support should help make one of my colleagues more
comfortable.

Cheerio,

Link.