Re: Page contents

От Michael Glaesemann
Тема Re: Page contents
Дата
Список pgsql-www
On Saturday, November 15, 2003, at 03:57 AM, Dave Page wrote:

> It's rumoured that Michael Glaesemann once said:
>> About and Contact appear to becoming quite standard on many
>> pages, and can replace longer descriptions such as "What is
>> PostgreSQL?" and "Contact the Webmasters".
>
> Don't change the last one - you don't have email from that address in
> your
> inbox to deal with!!
> Seriously, we had to add that otherwise we get every bug report, 'how
> do I
> create a table' and 'where do I download MySQL' email there is. It
> doesn't
> help the last one much, but the text in the contact box does stem the
> tide
> of other emails somewhat!

I'm definite not proposing getting rid of that message. Anything to
help people reach the answers they want from the people who can (and
want to!) answer them is a good thing. What I'm suggesting is instead
of Contact being a mailto link, it brings you to a contact page which
would include contacting the webmaster (with message), as well as links
to other people and pages—as well as post addresses, if
appropriate—they may wish to contact in the PostgreSQL community. This
currently isn't available from the front page.

Having this page buried one link in would have the added benefit of
making it just a little bit harder for the knee jerk "Help mE!!!!!!"
emailers to deluge you with their requests.

Any site redesign should have as a goal to reduce the number of emails
you get because people will be able to find their information on their
own. But then again, it might increase with all of the compliments on
the fine redesign ;)

Seriously, though, is this reasonable?

Michael