Re: Page contents

От Michael Glaesemann
Тема Re: Page contents
Дата
Список pgsql-www
On Saturday, November 15, 2003, at 05:34 AM, Euler Taveira de Oliveira
wrote:

> Hi Josh,
>
>> I think that's a good approach for us.    The major headings, from my
>> perspective, would be (in no particular order):
>>
>> Downloads
>> Documentation & User Information
>> Press Room
>> Developers
>> Gborg
>> About
>> Store
>>

> Could you describe what each item will contain ? Maybe draft a site
> map? Like Michael I'm a newcomer and I don't know much about
> PostgreSQL Project.

Thanks for the feedback, Josh. It seems in keeping with the thoughts
I've been having, and adds some I hadn't thought of. To see if I'm
understanding you correctly

Downloads brings you to a page where you can download PostgreSQL.
Pretty much the same as now.

Documentation & User Information
Can we shorten this somewhat? I guess I prefer the term Documentation,
but then I'm kind of a geek and don't know if new users or potential
users would know to go there. This would bring you to a choice of the
interactive and static documention, as well as PDF versions. Also
pretty close to now.

Press Room
Brings you to a list of contact information for news/event/advocacy
related people, archives for news(?), and possibly an way for
translators to add material? (Just a thought.)

Developers
Brings you to the front page of developer.postgresql.org

GBorg (or is it Gborg? I've seen it both ways)
I think this particular one can use a short description. Maybe it
doesn't have to be in exactly this place, perhaps tied in with the
GBorg statistics info (another thing I had thought about with the
"PostgreSQL Projects at GBorg" header for statistics), but I think a
description (or rewording) is necessary as it's not clear what it is
immediately.

About
This is the "What is..." link. I'd actually put it higher in the list,
possibly the first one, so newcomers can see it immediately. Longtime
users won't have any problem avoiding it.

Store
This could definitely be more prominent, I think. Right now it's just
in the footer bar, which I've been thinking we might be able to do
without...comments? I'm thinking we can keep the front page short
enough that it's not necessary. As it is right now, it's only three
screens on my 14in laptop, and I think it'll probably get more compact.
It's not like reading the doc pages.

>> and to come in the future:
>> Jobs
>> PostgreSQL Foundation
>>

> Nice things.
>
>> Given those links and other stuff that needs to be on the front page,
>> but
>> *not* on other pages:
>> Links to non-english sites
>> Survey
>> Mission Statement
>> News Items
>> Events
>>
> If we don't want to put it on the front page, maybe we could attach
> each one to the main links.

If I'm understanding Josh correctly, these are things we *do* need on
the front page. And I'd agree with him on that (except for possibly the
mission statement, but I can see it both ways). These things really
don't belong on any other page, and we want them available to people
when they first visit.

>> I think we could have a pretty full page *without* providing any
>> greater
>> detail.  And the whole page might load without scrolling at 1024x768,
>> consumation devoutly to be wished!
>>
> Maybe, we have it! But it depends on the amount of information we will
> provide.

I think it's doable, and a worthy goal.

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления: