Re: psql & readline & win32

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: psql & readline & win32
Дата
Re: psql & readline & win32  (Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu>)
Re: psql & readline & win32  (Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> Tom Lane wrote:
>>> At that point, psql becomes GPL, no question.
>>
>> Which means it's not happening, no?

> To clearify, I meant the psql binary becomes GPL.

There is no such thing as "the binary becomes GPL".  GPL applies to
the source code.

> When we build psql with readline, which is our default on many
> platforms, we are already be GPL'ing psql, at least according to the
> copyright holders, FSF.

No, we are NOT doing that, not even according to FSF.  Our usage of
a pre-installed readline library falls under this exception in the
standard GPL terms:
However, as aspecial exception, the source code distributed need not includeanything that is normally distributed (in
eithersource or binaryform) with the major components (compiler, kernel, and so on) of theoperating system on which the
executableruns, unless that componentitself accompanies the executable.

When we link to a readline library that is normally present on the
target system, we do not become covered by the GPL, because of this
exception.  But shipping readline in our package would be a flat
violation of the GPL unless we are willing to relicense.