Re: psql & readline & win32

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: psql & readline & win32
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

> >> Which means it's not happening, no?
>
> > To clearify, I meant the psql binary becomes GPL.
>
> There is no such thing as "the binary becomes GPL".  GPL applies to
> the source code.

OK.

> > When we build psql with readline, which is our default on many
> > platforms, we are already be GPL'ing psql, at least according to the
> > copyright holders, FSF.
>
> No, we are NOT doing that, not even according to FSF.  Our usage of
> a pre-installed readline library falls under this exception in the
> standard GPL terms:
>
>     However, as a
>     special exception, the source code distributed need not include
>     anything that is normally distributed (in either source or binary
>     form) with the major components (compiler, kernel, and so on) of the
>     operating system on which the executable runs, unless that component
>     itself accompanies the executable.
>
> When we link to a readline library that is normally present on the
> target system, we do not become covered by the GPL, because of this
> exception.  But shipping readline in our package would be a flat
> violation of the GPL unless we are willing to relicense.

Interesting, but that phrase is for what you need to distribute for an
already-GPL source code.  See the "GPL-related disputes" section:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gpl

and an old email from me on the topic:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2003-08/msg01811.php

Pennsylvania19073

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: User Defined Types in Java