Re: psql & readline & win32

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: psql & readline & win32
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:

>>>When we build psql with readline, which is our default on many
>>>platforms, we are already be GPL'ing psql, at least according to the
>>>copyright holders, FSF.
>>>

>>No, we are NOT doing that, not even according to FSF.  Our usage of
>>a pre-installed readline library falls under this exception in the
>>standard GPL terms:
>>
>>    However, as a
>>    special exception, the source code distributed need not include
>>    anything that is normally distributed (in either source or binary
>>    form) with the major components (compiler, kernel, and so on) of the
>>    operating system on which the executable runs, unless that component
>>    itself accompanies the executable.
>>
>>When we link to a readline library that is normally present on the
>>target system, we do not become covered by the GPL, because of this
>>exception.  But shipping readline in our package would be a flat
>>violation of the GPL unless we are willing to relicense.
>>

>Interesting, but that phrase is for what you need to distribute for an
>already-GPL source code.  See the "GPL-related disputes" section:
>
>    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gpl
>
>and an old email from me on the topic:
>
>    http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2003-08/msg01811.php

Let's just get off this track. We can easily tie ourselves up in knots
over it. Moving to libedit everywhere would be a good way to go if it's
achievable.

Incidentally, the exception quoted probably doesn't apply to any closed
source Unix any more than it does to Windows - last I looked none of
them normally ship libreadline. So presumably it's desirable to make
sure libedit works at least on those platforms.

So what's needed to bring libedit up to scratch? Are there any platforms
where it works as well as libreadline? On which platforms does it have
reduced or no functionality?

cheers

andrew