Re: Is PostgreSQL an easy choice for a large CMS?

От Tony Lausin
Тема Re: Is PostgreSQL an easy choice for a large CMS?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> In my opinion, postgresql is not the way to go when building a cMS
> simply because of the way it handles strings.
> A CMS should be language/region agnostic i.e. supporting any chosen
> locale subset, rather then  just one locale, as postgresql does. You
> can throw UTF-8 at the problem and it will enable data
> storage/retrieval, but you'll still be stuck with incorrect text
> ordering/sorting in any locale but the default.
> Truth be told, I don't know of a single RDBMS which handles this issue
> gracefully, but with postgresql, your basically stuck with a single
> language/locale.
> On the other hand, if you don't need multilang support, you'll find
> that postgresql is generally great to program and use.
>
> Tomislav

Hello Tomislav,

In my case, UTF-8 is a must. The site contextually will be directed to
North Americans, although I do anticipate that many users will from
time to time insert text in their own native languages. I myself
certainly may use non-latin characters from time to time (cyrillic),
so I find UTF-8 to be the best common bridge.

Regards,

Anthony

Сообщение: Re: Is PostgreSQL an easy choice for a large CMS?
Сообщение: Re: Is PostgreSQL an easy choice for a large CMS?