Re: Is PostgreSQL an easy choice for a large CMS?

От Robby Russell
Тема Re: Is PostgreSQL an easy choice for a large CMS?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Apr 30, 2006, at 12:23 PM, Tony Lausin wrote:

>> On the other hand, if you don't need multilang support, you'll find
>> that postgresql is generally great to program and use.
>>
>> Tomislav
>
> Hello Tomislav,
>
> In my case, UTF-8 is a must. The site contextually will be directed to
> North Americans, although I do anticipate that many users will from
> time to time insert text in their own native languages. I myself
> certainly may use non-latin characters from time to time (cyrillic),
> so I find UTF-8 to be the best common bridge.
>
> Regards,
>
> Anthony

Agreed, UTF-8 works fairly well. We just launched a site that has
translated content for ~20 languages using a programming language
that doesn't natively support unicode (Ruby... but jcode helps us
out) and it works great. This is all running on PostgreSQL and we
haven't seen any hiccups or complaints from people about strings not
displaying right.

I don't see why PostgreSQL wouldn't work for what you're working on...

-Robby

Robby Russell
Founder & Executive Director

PLANET ARGON, LLC
Ruby on Rails Development, Consulting & Hosting

www.planetargon.com
www.robbyonrails.com

+1 503 445 2457
+1 877 55 ARGON [toll free]