Re: Readme of Buffer Management seems to have wrong sentence

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Readme of Buffer Management seems to have wrong sentence
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Mind you, I think this whole area of the code needs some reengineering
> for better performance, but I'm not sure this is the right place to
> start.  What I think is really bad is that we're forcing every
> BufferAlloc() to iterate over buffers checking whether each one is
> evictable.

Well, keep in mind that that action is not merely there to obtain a
victim buffer; it is also maintaining the global LRU state (by
decrementing the usage counts of buffers it passes over).  I don't think
you can change it to simply look only at a predetermined freelist
without seriously compromising the overall quality of our buffer
replacement decisions.