Re: full data disk -- any chance of recovery

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: full data disk -- any chance of recovery
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
"Jim C. Nasby" <jnasby@pervasive.com> writes:
> On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 05:17:45PM -0800, Gregory S. Williamson wrote:
>> I went sleuthing and found some core files in the ./base/13860299 directory. Deleteing those freed up some gigabytes
ofspace (each core was 1-2 gigs).

> Might want to turn off dumping of core files; I believe man ulimit is
> the place to look.

Actually, as a developer I would've first wanted to look into the core
files and try to see why they showed up in the first place.  A gdb stack
trace would often tell something useful (... if not to you, then to
someone on the -hackers list ...).  Cleaning up after a problem is fine,
but don't destroy the evidence until you've learned as much as you can
towards preventing the problem from happening again.

I spend a remarkably large fraction of my time advising people to enable
core-dumping on platforms that disable it by default, so you'll
certainly not ever see me advising anyone to turn it off on a platform
where it is default ;-)

Having said all that, +1 to the point about staying up-to-date in
whichever PG release series you are using.  We do not spend time on
making dot-releases because we have nothing to do on a Saturday
afternoon ... an update is put out because it fixes one or more pretty
serious bugs.  Sure, there is some risk of a regression in a
dot-release, but it's small.  As best I recall at the moment, we've had
only one or two regressions in dot-releases in the eight or so years
I've been around the project.

Сообщение: Re: full data disk -- any chance of recovery
Сообщение: Re: full data disk -- any chance of recovery