Re: Direct I/O

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Direct I/O
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 01.05.23 04:47, Thomas Munro wrote:
> On Mon, May 1, 2023 at 12:00 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Justin Pryzby <pryzby@telsasoft.com> writes:
>>
>>> Such a warning wouldn't be particularly likely to be seen by someone who
>>> already didn't read/understand the docs for the not-feature that they
>>> turned on.
>>
>> Yeah, I doubt that that would be helpful at all.
>
> Fair enough.
>
>>> Since this is -currently- a developer-only feature, it seems reasonable
>>> to rename the GUC to debug_direct_io, and (at such time as it's
>>> considered to be helpful to users) later rename it to direct_io.
>>
>> +1
>
> Yeah, the future cross-version confusion thing is compelling.  OK,
> here's a rename patch.  I left all the variable names and related
> symbols as they were, so it's just the GUC that gains the prefix.  I
> moved the documentation hunk up to be sorted alphabetically like
> nearby entries, because that seemed to look nicer, even though the
> list isn't globally sorted.

I suggest to also rename the hook functions (check and assign), like in
the attached patch.  Mainly because utils/guc_hooks.h says to order the
functions by GUC variable name, which was already wrong under the old
name, but it would be pretty confusing to sort the functions by their
GUC name that doesn't match the function names.
Вложения