Re: Direct I/O

От Thomas Munro
Тема Re: Direct I/O
Дата
Re: Direct I/O  (Peter Eisentraut <peter@eisentraut.org>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, May 1, 2023 at 12:00 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Justin Pryzby <pryzby@telsasoft.com> writes:
> > On Sun, Apr 30, 2023 at 06:35:30PM +1200, Thomas Munro wrote:
> >> What about a
> >> warning message about that at startup if it's on?
>
> > Such a warning wouldn't be particularly likely to be seen by someone who
> > already didn't read/understand the docs for the not-feature that they
> > turned on.
>
> Yeah, I doubt that that would be helpful at all.

Fair enough.

> > Since this is -currently- a developer-only feature, it seems reasonable
> > to rename the GUC to debug_direct_io, and (at such time as it's
> > considered to be helpful to users) later rename it to direct_io.
>
> +1

Yeah, the future cross-version confusion thing is compelling.  OK,
here's a rename patch.  I left all the variable names and related
symbols as they were, so it's just the GUC that gains the prefix.  I
moved the documentation hunk up to be sorted alphabetically like
nearby entries, because that seemed to look nicer, even though the
list isn't globally sorted.

Вложения