Re: Leftover processes on shutdown - Debian+JDBC

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Leftover processes on shutdown - Debian+JDBC
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
"Robert M. Meyer" <rmeyer@installs.com> writes:
> I had the same problem.  I rewrote my shutdown script to call 'pg_ctl -m
> immediate'.  So far, I haven't seen any damage because of it

A much safer choice would be "-m fast".

The default ("-m smart") doesn't shut down the server until all clients
voluntarily disconnect.  If you have tomcat holding persistent
connections open then that's not what you want.

"-m fast" forcibly disconnects clients and then does a clean database
shutdown.  This is generally what you want if you have
persistent-connection clients.

"-m immediate" is the equivalent of the big red EMERGENCY STOP button
found in places like power plant control rooms.  If you are in the habit
of hitting that as a routine measure, you need to have your operator's
permit revoked.