Re: how can I fix my accent issues?

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: how can I fix my accent issues?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 12/13/23 06:42, Igniris Valdivia Baez wrote:
> Hello,
> How is saved to xls files? --- using pentaho there is a tool there to
> output data in different formats in this case xls
> Defined reviewed, on particular is the data changed? ---Yes, some
> descriptions are changed
> How is transferred from xls to to the database? --- Using pentaho
> there is a tool there to load the data in different formats in this
> case xls
> Is the data reviewed in Excel only on one machine or many? ---only in
> one machine
> What the locales/encodings/character sets involved? ---UTF 8 location
> spanish_Cuba.1252
> Define what you mean by whole operation done in Windows.--- When the
> process is executed in my local machine which is in windows there are
> no issues, when it move to dev environment which is in linux but the
> xls is still reviewed in windows the load throws data with the U+FFFD

As Daniel Vérité pointed out the above is moving through many steps
across multiple systems. The fact that you see the issue when moving the
data from Windows --> Linux indicates this is the point of concern. In
other words you need to determine what locale/character set you are
working in on the Windows machine and what you are transferring it to on
the Linux machine. Then make the appropriate adjustments. This is sort
of generic answer as it is still not clear to me what the exact settings
are in Windows(xls) and Linux(Postgres).

As a side note and possible alternative, why not just move the data(via
Pentaho) into the dev database into a staging table. Then have a form
that the reviewer can use to correct the data, after which it can be
moved into the final table. This cuts out an OS transfer.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com