Re: ident authentication not working over loopback adapter

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: ident authentication not working over loopback adapter
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Ian Pilcher <pilchman@attbi.com> writes:
> This is a bit backwards.  ident authentication is working for me over
> Unix domain sockets, but it isn't working over the loopback adapter.
> Notes:  This is Red Hat Linux 8.0.  Password authentication works over
>          Unix domain sockets or the loopback adapter.

Check to see if ident traffic is being filtered by kernel-level packet
filtering.  IIRC, RHL ships with mighty tight packet filtering, even on
the loopback connection (which is a tad silly, but...).  One easy way to
investigate this is to see if you can telnet to the ident daemon:

$ telnet localhost 113                  <--- I typed this
Trying...
Connected to localhost.sss.pgh.pa.us.
Escape character is '^]'.
1 2                                     <--- and this, which is junk,
1 , 0 : ERROR : INVALID-PORT            <--- so the ident daemon answered this
Connection closed by foreign host.
$

If you get a timeout or "connection refused" or anything except actual
communication with the ident daemon, you've got a filtering problem.