Re: JDBC split and move ...

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: JDBC split and move ...
Дата
Re: JDBC split and move ...  ("Dave Cramer" <Dave@micro-automation.net>)
Список pgsql-jdbc
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
> Over time, anything that is not tied directly into the backend code ...
> eventually, I'm even looking at some way of splitting off
> interfaces/libpq, since I'm itred of having to download and install an
> 8Meg distrubtion ust to getl ibpq to compile PHP4 with :(

Note that this is Marc's idea and is not necessarily shared by the rest
of core (it's certainly not shared by me).  IMHO a server that you
can't talk to is pretty useless, and therefore libpq and psql (at least)
must be part of the minimal package.

It seems to me that Marc's real complaint could be addressed by a make
target that builds a libpq-only source tarball.  That does not mean that
the source files involved have to be separated into a different CVS tree
or a different full-distribution tarball.  The RPM builds are already
doing similar things quite successfully.

I can see some value in splitting JDBC out: you guys seem to be moving
pretty quickly and could make good use of the ability to release JDBC
more frequently than the backend is released.  However, if you don't
want to do that, I'm certainly not going to vote to force you to become
a separate distribution.