Re: JDBC split and move ...

От Marc G. Fournier
Тема Re: JDBC split and move ...
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
On Sun, 10 Feb 2002, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
> > Over time, anything that is not tied directly into the backend code ...
> > eventually, I'm even looking at some way of splitting off
> > interfaces/libpq, since I'm itred of having to download and install an
> > 8Meg distrubtion ust to getl ibpq to compile PHP4 with :(
>
> Note that this is Marc's idea and is not necessarily shared by the rest
> of core (it's certainly not shared by me).  IMHO a server that you
> can't talk to is pretty useless, and therefore libpq and psql (at least)
> must be part of the minimal package.
>
> It seems to me that Marc's real complaint could be addressed by a make
> target that builds a libpq-only source tarball.  That does not mean that
> the source files involved have to be separated into a different CVS tree
> or a different full-distribution tarball.  The RPM builds are already
> doing similar things quite successfully.

for libpq and psql, that I have no problem with, sorry, kinda got
over-zealous in my para above :)

as for jdbc/odbc and other such ... if a make target is doable there too,
so be it ... my real beef here is that I can't get one piece I need
without having to download the whole thing ... I think the 'seperate
release cycle' would be of a real benefit also, to those projects, but if
those maintaining don't feel the same, I'm not going to argue until I'm
blue in the face over it ...