Re: more numeric stuff

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: more numeric stuff
Дата
Re: more numeric stuff  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> I have a couple ideas for further work on the numeric code that I want
> to get feedback on.

> 1. Cramming it down some more.  I propose that we introduce a third
> format with a one-byte header: 1 bit for sign, 3 bits for dynamic
> scale, and 4 bits for weight (the first of which is a sign bit).  This
> might seem crazy,

Yes, it does.  In the first place it isn't going to work conveniently
because NumericDigit requires int16 alignment.  In the second, shaving
just one byte doesn't seem like enough win to be worth the trouble.
I don't believe your "billion rows" argument because you aren't
factoring in the result of row-level alignment padding --- most of the
time you're not going to win anything.

> We don't need any special
> marker to indicate that the 1-byte format is in use, because we can
> deduce it from the length of the varlena (after excluding the header):
> even = 2b or 4b header, odd = 1b header.  There can't be any
> odd-length numerics already on disk, so there shouldn't be any
> compatibility break for pg_upgrade to worry about.

Really?  Not sure this is true, because numerics can be toast-compressed.
It hardly ever happens, but to do this that's not good enough.

> 2. Don't untoast/don't copy.

This would be good, but I'm not sure how to do it.  The main problem
again is NumericDigit alignment.  Only about half the time is the digit
array going to be aligned the way you need, so that puts a real crimp
in the possible win.  (In fact, if we assume the previous field is more
than byte aligned and the toast header is one byte, then the digit array
is *never* properly aligned on disk :-()

One possibility is to have an additional toasting rule that forces
odd-byte-alignment of a field's one-byte header.  But it's a bit hard to
argue that numeric deserves the additional overhead that that would put
into all the core tuple forming/deforming logic.

> 3. 64-bit arithmetic.  Right now, mul_var() and div_var() use int for
> arithmetic, but haven't we given up on supporting platforms without
> long long?  I'm not sure I'm motivated enough to write the patch
> myself, but it seems like 64-bit arithmetic would give us a lot more
> room to postpone carries.

I don't think this would win unless we went to 32-bit NumericDigit,
which is a problem from the on-disk-compatibility standpoint, not to
mention making the alignment issues even worse.  Postponing carries is
good, but we have enough headroom for that already --- I really doubt
that making the array elements wider would save anything noticeable
unless you increase NBASE.