Re: Databases in memory (-->flashdrive problem)

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Databases in memory (-->flashdrive problem)
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
"Christian Gerdes" <christian.gerdes@exai.de> writes:
> Is there an opportunity to configure postgre to keep databases in Memory?
> I need to store a lot of data (many little entries) on IDE- flashdrive.
> But flashdrives have a little problem with write-cycles.
> Each flash-cell can be rewritten approxiatly 300.000 times. This means for me:
> there is no chance to store my db directly on flashdrive.

> If i could let my databases stay in RAM (maybe RAM-Drive, if so) i may do a backup to flashdrive in a defined
frequency!?

Sure: keep the database on a RAM-drive (this will mean an initdb and
data load on each bootup, hope you can stand that) and use pg_dump to
a text file on flashdrive as your backup mechanism.  Use a cron task
to run pg_dump at whatever frequency suits you.