Re: when datas filesystem is full how to do

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: when datas filesystem is full how to do
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Morus Walter <morus.walter@tanto.de> writes:
> I guess the problem is, that he doesn't want to stop the database.

Yeah ... I'm afraid that's an impractical goal.

> I'd rather suggest to look into tablespaces.
> Create a new tablespace on some other filesystem and move the contents
> of the database by using ALTER TABLE/INDEX SET TABLESPACE...

Although the postmaster may stay up, this would still involve taking
exclusive locks on large tables for long enough to copy them to another
disk.  That would probably knock out his application just as effectively
as a full database shutdown.  And of course it's not even an option
unless he's running PG 8.0.