Re: BI tools and postgresql

От Alban Hertroys
Тема Re: BI tools and postgresql
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 29 Jul 2012, at 11:56, Vincent Veyron wrote:

> New manager comes in and starts talking about a bidding procedure for an
> application for the combined team.
>
> The guy is stopped by my 3 person team, who threatens to _strike_ if
> 'their' application is removed : they simply refused to work without it.
> Bidding is halted, users keep the app, my bill is paid. I am still
> hoping that new manager will see the light.
>
> One year later, new manager has put restrictions all around them, and
> they told me last week that they simply can't take the pressure anymore
> and must protect themselves. I was not hoping anymore because I had
> talked to the guy on the phone in the meantime, so I knew what to
> expect.
>
> It seems to me this is the kind of person you are dealing with : they
> don't look at nor care about results. Because when you do care, you
> don't come into a place and start replacing a functionning product,
> specially not by what you mentionned.

I know the type. That's not a manager, that's a new alpha male marking his territory.

He's probably gone in a few years time to "advance his career", but by that time he'll have destroyed as much of what
hispredecessor accomplished as possible and replaced it with stuff with _his_ "mark", which is usually inferior because
he'snot an expert on those matters (after all, that's you). It's change for the sake of change, that's never a good
reason.

Guys like that are not good for the health of a company, but they tend to be quite good at sweetening up their
superiors.Worse, usually all the communication to those people tends to go through him. Unless your people find a way
tobypass him and convince upper management that he's no good (which will probably be difficult, as no doubt he's been
busycolouring their opinion of your people), you're screwed. The sooner they do that the better.

If upper management is any good, they'll be happy to have a chat about the situation and keep an eye out and a direct
lineto your people open, so that they can hear both sides. He's probably not on their radar right now.

Good luck.

Whether the same goes for the OP's situation I don't know. It's a lot of guessing either way, I am a techy as well, not
apsychologist or anything ;)

Alban Hertroys