Re: BI tools and postgresql

От Vincent Veyron
Тема Re: BI tools and postgresql
Дата
Re: BI tools and postgresql  (Jacqui Caren <jacqui.caren@ntlworld.com>)
Список pgsql-general
Le samedi 28 juillet 2012 à 09:39 -0700, Mark Phillips a écrit :
> Thanks to all who have posted. Your comments are very helpful.
>
> On Jul 26, 2012, at 11:04 AM, Vincent Veyron wrote:
>
> > I had assumed the OP _was_
> > using Postgres already, and that this was being challenged by the
> > new
> > manager.
>
> Yes, that is accurate. The new manager is not familiar with OSS and
> PostgreSQL, having come from a large corporate environment into a
> smaller more lean organization.

I am in a similar situation with the application that you see in my sig
(it's a legal cases/insurance claims management system for the legal
department).

See below for some details.

> Thus my request here. I would like to offer the new manager an
> opportunity to extend the range of options.

Let me tell you briefly how it went for me :

The app has been in use for several years by a 3 person team, their
input being a great help in finalizing it. The manager in place was
sidelined in a takeover last year.

New manager comes in and starts talking about a bidding procedure for an
application for the combined team.

The guy is stopped by my 3 person team, who threatens to _strike_ if
'their' application is removed : they simply refused to work without it.
Bidding is halted, users keep the app, my bill is paid. I am still
hoping that new manager will see the light.

One year later, new manager has put restrictions all around them, and
they told me last week that they simply can't take the pressure anymore
and must protect themselves. I was not hoping anymore because I had
talked to the guy on the phone in the meantime, so I knew what to
expect.

It seems to me this is the kind of person you are dealing with : they
don't look at nor care about results. Because when you do care, you
don't come into a place and start replacing a functionning product,
specially not by what you mentionned.

--
Vincent Veyron
http://marica.fr/