Re: Cached Memory increasing up and drop the caches through sync; echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

От Kevin Grittner
Тема Re: Cached Memory increasing up and drop the caches through sync; echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
Дата
Ответ на Cached Memory increasing up and drop the caches through sync; echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches  ("AL-Temimi, Muthana" <muthana.al-temimi@tu-harburg.hamburg.de>)
Список pgsql-admin
wrote:

> is there any problem if I use the following command:
>   “sync; echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches”
> to release the cached memory on linux server.

The only problem would be that performance would tend to be poor if
you discard the OS cache.

> Because I have a problem with cached memory on the linux Server
> beacaue there are increasing in cached memory till swap.

You probably have not configured PostgreSQL very well.  Please
describe your hardware and OS and show the results of running these
queries:

SELECT version();
SELECT name, current_setting(name), SOURCE
  FROM pg_settings
  WHERE SOURCE NOT IN ('default', 'override');

Also, if you could show about 30 seconds of output from `vmstat 1`
while the swapping is happening, that would help us provide useful
advice.

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com