Re: different sort order in windows and linux version

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: different sort order in windows and linux version
Дата
Re: different sort order in windows and linux version  (Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org>)
Список pgsql-general
Dragan Matic <mlists@panforma.co.yu> writes:
> I was about to say the same thing. I think that the whole point in
> having a portable database system is that the data inside the database
> should behave the _same way_ no matter what operating system database is
> running on - client shouldn't be aware of the server OS.

So on that argument, we need to eliminate datatypes float8 and float4
forthwith, because they don't behave quite the same on every machine.
And int8 too, because it's not supported on every machine.  And
--enable-integer-datetimes has got to go; in fact configure should
not have any options at all.

>> Personally, I'd be perfectly happy with pgsql if I could choose to
>> make text operations up to 2-3x slower without the fuss of how it's
>> going to work on a certain platform, in each pgsql version.

Fine for you, not so fine for other people with different concerns.

I'm not unsympathetic to your general point, but black-and-white
arguments won't get far in this discussion.  It's all about tradeoffs
... it's most definitely not about one-size-fits-all.