Re: different sort order in windows and linux version

От Dragan Matic
Тема Re: different sort order in windows and linux version
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Tom Lane wrote:
> Dragan Matic <mlists@panforma.co.yu> writes:
>
>> I was about to say the same thing. I think that the whole point in
>> having a portable database system is that the data inside the database
>> should behave the _same way_ no matter what operating system database is
>> running on - client shouldn't be aware of the server OS.
>>

> So on that argument, we need to eliminate datatypes float8 and float4
> forthwith, because they don't behave quite the same on every machine.
> And int8 too, because it's not supported on every machine.  And
> --enable-integer-datetimes has got to go; in fact configure should
> not have any options at all.

Ok, I agree on that, I have completely forgotten these datatypes, when I
wrote the above I was having in mind strings only.
>>> Personally, I'd be perfectly happy with pgsql if I could choose to
>>> make text operations up to 2-3x slower without the fuss of how it's
>>> going to work on a certain platform, in each pgsql version.
>>>

> Fine for you, not so fine for other people with different concerns.
>
> I'm not unsympathetic to your general point, but black-and-white
> arguments won't get far in this discussion.  It's all about tradeoffs
> ... it's most definitely not about one-size-fits-all.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Sorry if I was being rude, didn't mean to sound that way, I was just
surprised to see this kind of postgresql behavior. I wouldn't like to be
misunderstood, we are using postgresql for 6th year now and we are
extremely satisfied with it. Furthermore we are using Linux servers only
so the mentioned behavior doesn't affect us at the moment. My original
question arose when I wanted to do some tests on my notebook and after
installing postgresql for windows, I was surprised to see that I was not
getting the same results that I was getting from the other servers, so I
thought I could ask if I misconfigured the installation, or was that a
known bug. My concern was that for someone developing application with
postgresql for windows and then deploying it on postgresql on Linux this
might be a big surprise.

regards

Dragan Matic

От: Douglas McNaught
Сообщение: Re: Is what I want possible and if so how?
От: Martijn van Oosterhout
Сообщение: Re: different sort order in windows and linux version