Rookie in installation-trouble -> PLEEEASE HELP

От Christoph Lange
Тема Rookie in installation-trouble -> PLEEEASE HELP
Дата
Re: Rookie in installation-trouble -> PLEEEASE HELP  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-admin
Hi Postgresql-experts,

this is a desperate cry for help to all of you. I am a rookie concerning
Unix and all kind of databases but I would like to install Postgresql 7.0.3 for
a test run in my home directory (/home/lange) on a Unix platform. I have
tried to get Postgresql running several times (means: downloads and subsequent
removals of file-chaos) by now, but haven’t succeeded yet. Using the
installation guide at
http://postgresql.siamu.ac.th/docs/postgres/install16147.htm I basically have produced two kinds of failure. I hope it
isa very obvious
mistake and it would be very kind if somebody looked through those two
command scenarios and - if possible – gave some hints what to do or where to
find installation instructions for dummies.

SCENARIO 1: Installation under /home/lange/pgsql/postgresql-7.0.3
uranus% mkdir pgsql
uranus% mkdir pgsql/install
uranus% cd pgsql/install
uranus% gunzip postgresql-7.0.3.tar.gz
uranus% tar -xf postgresql-7.0.3.tar

uranus% cd /src
uranus% mkdir /home/lange/pgsql/arch_ind
uranus% mkdir /home/lange/pgsql/arch_dep
uranus% ./configure --prefix=/home/lange/pgsql/arch_ind
--exec-prefix=/home/lange/pgsql/arch_dep
uranus% gmake
uranus% gmake install
uranus% mkdir /home/lange/pgsql/data
uranus% chown lange /home/lange/pgsql/data
uranus% su - lange
uranus% chmod u+x /home/lange/pgsql/postgresql-7.0.3/src/bin/initdb/initdb

uranus% home/lange/pgsql/postgresql-7.0.3/src/bin/initdb/initdb -D
~/pgsql2/data

This last command does not work because the files “postgres“,
„psql“ and „pg_version“ as well as the
„lib“ directory with all its files are missing. They do exist – spread
among all sublime directories of /home/lange/pgsql/postgresql-7.0.3 - and it is
possible to copy them into their right place so that the above command works,
but then you have to look for the “postmaster” and so on.
Basically no file is at its right place. In the end I could not use the command
“createdb” since something was wrong with the “libpq.so”
file. Anybody knows, what this is all about?

SCENARIO 2: Installation under /home/lange/usr
uranus% gunzip postgresql-7.0.3.tar.gz
uranus% tar -xf postgresql-7.0.3.tar

SINCE
uranus% mv postgresql-7.0.3 /home/lange/usr/src
PRODUCED THE MESSAGE
mv: postgresql-7.0.3 is a directory
I CHANGED
/home/lange/postgresql-7.0.3
INTO
/home/lange/usr

uranus% cd usr/src
uranus% ./configure
uranus% gmake
All of PostgreSQL is successfully made. Ready to install.

uranus% cd /home/lange/usr/src/test/regress
uranus% gmake all
uranus% gmake runcheck
ALL RESULTS WERE OK
uranus% cd /home/lange/usr/src

uranus% gmake install
./mkinstalldirs /usr/local/pgsql/bin /usr/local/pgsql/lib
mkdir /usr/local
mkdir /usr/local/pgsql
mkdir /usr/local/pgsql/bin
mkdir /usr/local
mkdir /usr/local/pgsql
mkdir /usr/local/pgsql/lib
gmake: *** [installdirs] Error 2

Any idea?

PLEASE HELP – I am getting mad!
Thanks to all helpful Postgresql-experts.
Christoph Lange