Re: Remove useless arguments in ReadCheckpointRecord().

От Kyotaro Horiguchi
Тема Re: Remove useless arguments in ReadCheckpointRecord().
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
At Thu, 21 Jul 2022 23:10:04 -0400, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote in
> Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@oss.nttdata.com> writes:
> > On 2022/07/21 14:54, Kyotaro Horiguchi wrote:
> >> At Thu, 21 Jul 2022 11:45:23 +0900, Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@oss.nttdata.com> wrote in
>
> >> "in backup_label" there looks *to me* need some verb..
>
> > Sorry, I failed to understand your point. Could you clarify your point?
>
> FWIW, the proposed change looks like perfectly good English to me.
> "locate" is the verb.  It's been way too many years since high
> school grammar for me to remember the exact term for auxiliary
> clauses like "in backup_label file", but that doesn't need its
> own verb.  Possibly Kyotaro-san is feeling that it should be
> like "... checkpoint record in the backup_label file".  That'd
> be more formal, but in the telegraphic style that we prefer for
> primary error messages, omitting the "the" is fine.

Maybe a little different.  I thought that a checkpoint record cannot
be located in backup_label file.  In other words what is in
backup_label file is a pointer to the record and the record is in a
WAL file.

I'm fine with the proposed sentsnse if the it makes the correct
sense. (And sorry for the noise)

By the way, I learned that the style is called "telegraphic style".

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center