Re: Remove useless arguments in ReadCheckpointRecord().

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Remove useless arguments in ReadCheckpointRecord().
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@oss.nttdata.com> writes:
> On 2022/07/21 14:54, Kyotaro Horiguchi wrote:
>> At Thu, 21 Jul 2022 11:45:23 +0900, Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@oss.nttdata.com> wrote in
>>> -    (errmsg("could not locate required checkpoint record"),
>>> +    (errmsg("could not locate a valid checkpoint record in backup_label file"),

>> "in backup_label" there looks *to me* need some verb..

> Sorry, I failed to understand your point. Could you clarify your point?

FWIW, the proposed change looks like perfectly good English to me.
"locate" is the verb.  It's been way too many years since high
school grammar for me to remember the exact term for auxiliary
clauses like "in backup_label file", but that doesn't need its
own verb.  Possibly Kyotaro-san is feeling that it should be
like "... checkpoint record in the backup_label file".  That'd
be more formal, but in the telegraphic style that we prefer for
primary error messages, omitting the "the" is fine.