Re: when the startup process doesn't (logging startup delays)

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: when the startup process doesn't (logging startup delays)
Дата
Re: when the startup process doesn't (logging startup delays)  (Justin Pryzby <pryzby@telsasoft.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
So, I've wondered about this part all along:

> +/*
> + * Calculates the timestamp at which the next timer should expire and enables
> + * the timer accordingly.
> + */
> +static void
> +reset_startup_progress_timeout(TimestampTz now)
> +{
> +    TimestampTz next_timeout;
> +
> +    next_timeout = TimestampTzPlusMilliseconds(scheduled_startup_progress_timeout,
> +                                               log_startup_progress_interval);
> +    if (next_timeout < now)
> +    {
> +        /*
> +         * Either the timeout was processed so late that we missed an
> +         * entire cycle or system clock was set backwards.
> +         */
> +        next_timeout = TimestampTzPlusMilliseconds(now, log_startup_progress_interval);
> +    }
> +
> +    enable_timeout_at(STARTUP_PROGRESS_TIMEOUT, next_timeout);

Why is it that we set the next timeout to fire not at "now + interval"
but at "when-it-should-have-fired-but-didn't + interval"?  As a user, if
I request a message to be logged every N milliseconds, and one
of them is a little bit delayed, then (assuming I set it to 10s) I still
expect the next one to occur at now+10s.  I don't expect the next at
"now+5s" if one is delayed 5s.

In other words, I think this function should just be
  enable_timeout_after(STARTUP_PROGRESS_TIMEOUT, log_startup_progress_interval);

This means you can remove the scheduled_startup_progress_timeout
variable.

--
Álvaro Herrera           39°49'30"S 73°17'W  —  https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
"No hay ausente sin culpa ni presente sin disculpa" (Prov. francés)