Re: when the startup process doesn't (logging startup delays)

От Justin Pryzby
Тема Re: when the startup process doesn't (logging startup delays)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Sep 29, 2021 at 02:36:14PM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Why is it that we set the next timeout to fire not at "now + interval"
> but at "when-it-should-have-fired-but-didn't + interval"?  As a user, if
> I request a message to be logged every N milliseconds, and one
> of them is a little bit delayed, then (assuming I set it to 10s) I still
> expect the next one to occur at now+10s.  I don't expect the next at
> "now+5s" if one is delayed 5s.
>
> In other words, I think this function should just be
>   enable_timeout_after(STARTUP_PROGRESS_TIMEOUT, log_startup_progress_interval);
>
> This means you can remove the scheduled_startup_progress_timeout
> variable.

Robert requested the current behavior here.
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CA%2BTgmoYkS1ZeWdSMFMBecMNxWonHk6J5eoX4FEQrpKtvEbXqGQ%40mail.gmail.com

It's confusing (at least) to get these kind of requests to change the behavior
back and forth.

--
Justin

Сообщение: Re: when the startup process doesn't (logging startup delays)
Сообщение: Re: when the startup process doesn't (logging startup delays)