Re: when the startup process doesn't (logging startup delays)

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: when the startup process doesn't (logging startup delays)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Sep 29, 2021 at 10:08 AM Nitin Jadhav
<nitinjadhavpostgres@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry. There was a misunderstanding about this and for the patch
> shared on September 27th, I had tested for the value '0' and observed
> that no progress messages were getting logged, probably the time at
> which 'enable_timeout_at' is getting called is past the 'next_timeout'
> value. This behaviour is completely dependent on the system. Now added
> an extra condition to disable the feature in case of '0' setting.

Oh, interesting. I failed to consider that the behavior might vary
from one system to another.

I just noticed something else which I realize is the indirect result
of my own suggestion but which doesn't actually look all that nice.
You've now got a call to RegisterTimeout(STARTUP_PROGRESS_TIMEOUT,
...) in InitPostgres, guarded by ! IsPostmasterEnvironment, and then
another one in StartupProcessMain(). I think that's so that the
feature works in single-user mode, but that means that technically,
we're not reporting on the progress of the startup process. We're
reporting progress on the startup operations that are normally
performed by the startup process. But that means that the
documentation isn't quite accurate (because it mentions the startup
process specifically) and that the placement of the code in startup.c
is suspect (because that's specifically for the startup process) and
that basically every instance of the word "process" in the patch is
technically a little bit wrong. I'm not sure if that's a big enough
problem to be worth worrying about or exactly what we ought to do
about it, but it doesn't seem fantastic. At a minimum, I think we
should probably try to eliminate as many references to the startup
process as we can, and talk about startup progress or startup
operations or something like that.

+ * Start timestamp of the operation that occur during startup process.

This is not correct grammar - it would need to be "operations that
occur" or "operation that occurs". But neither seems particularly
clear about what the variable actually does. How about "Time at which
the most recent startup operation started"?

+ * Indicates the timestamp at which the timer was supposed to expire.

"Indicates" can be deleted, but also I think it would be better to
state the purpose of the timer i.e. "Timestamp at which the next
startup progress message should be logged."

+ enable_timeout_at(STARTUP_PROGRESS_TIMEOUT, next_timeout);
+ scheduled_startup_progress_timeout = next_timeout;
+ startup_progress_timer_expired = false;

I think you should set startup_progress_timer_expired to false before
calling enable_timeout_at. Otherwise there's a race condition. It's
unlikely that the timer could expire and the interrupt handler fire
before we reach startup_progress_timer_expired = false, but it seems
like there's no reason to take a chance.

+ * Calculates the timestamp at which the next timer should expire and enables

So in some places you have verbs with an "s" on the end, like here,
and in other places without, like in the next example. In "telegraph
style" comments like this, this implicit subject is "it" or "this,"
but you don't write that. However you write the rest of the sentence
as if it were there. So this should say "calculate" and "enable"
rather than "calculates" and "enables".

+ * Schedule a wakeup call for logging the progress of startup process.

This isn't really an accurate description, I think. It's not
scheduling anything, and I don't know what a "wakeup call" is anyway.
"Set a flag indicating that it's time to log a progress report" might
be better.

+ * Sets the start timestamp of the current operation and also enables the

Set. enable.

+ * timeout for logging the progress of startup process.

I think you could delete "for logging the progress of startup process"
here; that seems clear enough, and this reads a bit awkwardly. If you
want to keep something like this I wrote write "...enable the timeout
so that the progress of the startup progress will be logged."

+ * the timer if it did, otheriwse return false.

otherwise

+ * Begin the startup progress phase to report the progress of syncing
+ * data directory (syncfs).

All of the comments that start with "Begin the startup progress phase"
should instead start with "Begin startup progress phase".

I think this could be condensed down to "Prepare to report progress
syncing the data directory via syncfs", and likewise "Prepare to
report progress of the pre-fsync phase", "Prepare to report progress
resetting unlogged relations," etc.

+ gettext_noop("Sets the time interval between each progress update "
+ "of the startup process."),

This is actually inaccurate. It's sort of the same problem I was
worried about with respect to the documentation: it's NOT the interval
between progress updates, because it applies separately to each
operation. We need to say something that makes that clear, or at least
that doesn't get overtly the opposite impression. It's hard to do that
briefly, but maybe something like "Time between progress updates for
long-running startup operations"?

Whatever we use here could also be the comment for
log_startup_progress_interval.

+ * Logs the startup progress message if the timer has expired.

the -> a

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Сообщение: Re: when the startup process doesn't (logging startup delays)
Сообщение: Re: when the startup process doesn't (logging startup delays)