Re: Improve logging when using Huge Pages

От Kyotaro Horiguchi
Тема Re: Improve logging when using Huge Pages
Дата
Re: Improve logging when using Huge Pages  (Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@oss.nttdata.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
At Tue, 7 Sep 2021 08:16:53 -0500, Justin Pryzby <pryzby@telsasoft.com> wrote in
> On Tue, Sep 07, 2021 at 07:12:36PM +0900, Fujii Masao wrote:
> > One big concern about the patch is that log message is always reported
> > when shared memory fails to be allocated with huge pages enabled
> > when huge_pages=try. Since huge_pages=try is the default setting,
> > many users would see this new log message whenever they start
> > the server. Those who don't need huge pages but just use the default
> > setting might think that such log messages would be noisy.
>
> I don't see this as any issue.  We're only talking about a single message on
> each restart, which would be added in a major release.  If it's a problem, the
> message could be a NOTICE or INFO, and it won't be shown by default.
>
> I think it should say "with/out huge pages" without "enabled/disabled", without
> "again", and without "The server", like:
>
> +                                       (errmsg("could not map anonymous shared memory (%zu bytes)"
> +                                               " with huge pages.", allocsize),
> +                                        errdetail("Anonymous shared memory will be mapped "
> +                                               "without huge pages.")));

I don't dislike the message, but I'm not sure I like the message is
too verbose, especially about it has DETAILS. It seems to me something
like the following is sufficient, or I'd like see it even more concise.

"fall back anonymous shared memory to non-huge pages: required %zu bytes for huge pages"

If we emit an error message for other than mmap failure, it would be
like the following.

"fall back anonymous shared memory to non-huge pages: huge pages not available"

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center