RE: Improve logging when using Huge Pages

От Shinoda, Noriyoshi (PN Japan FSIP)
Тема RE: Improve logging when using Huge Pages
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hello,

Thank you everyone for comments.
I have attached a patch that simply changed the message like the advice from Horiguchi-san.

> Even with the patch, there are still some cases where huge pages is disabled silently. We should report something
evenin these cases?
> For example, in the platform where huge pages is not supported, it's silently disabled when huge_pages=try.

The area where this patch is written is inside the "#ifdef MAP_HUGETLB #endif" block.
For this reason, I think it is excluded from binaries created in an environment that does not have the MAP_HUGETLB
macro.

> One big concern about the patch is that log message is always reported when shared memory fails to be allocated with
hugepages enabled when huge_pages=try. Since
> huge_pages=try is the default setting, many users would see this new log message whenever they start the server.
Thosewho don't need huge pages but just use the default
> setting might think that such log messages would be noisy.

This patch is meant to let the admin know that HugePages isn't being used, so I'm sure you're right. I have no idea
whatto do so far.

Regards,
Noriyoshi Shinoda