Re: wrong link in acronyms.sgml

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: wrong link in acronyms.sgml
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2020-Dec-02, Erik Rijkers wrote:

> Hi
>
> I just noticed that in
>
>   https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/acronyms.html
>     (i.e., doc/src/sgml/acronyms.sgml)
>
> there is under lemma 'HOT' a link with URL:
>
> https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=blob;f=src/backend/access/heap/README.HOT;hb=HEAD
>
> Is this deliberate? Surely pointing 13-docs into HEAD-docs is wrong?

Yeah, I noticed this while working on the glossary.

This link works:
https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=blob;f=src/backend/access/heap/README.HOT;hb=REL_13_STABLE
but the problem with this one is that we'll have to update once per
release.

> Otherwise it may be better to remove the link altogether and just have the
> acronym lemma: 'HOT' and explanation 'Heap-Only Tuple'.

Yeah, I don't think pointing to the source-code README file is a great
resource.  I think starting with 13 we should add an entry in the
glossary for Heap-Only Tuple, and make the acronym entry point to the
glossary.  In fact, we could do this with several other acronyms too,
such as DDL, DML, GEQO, LSN, MVCC, SQL, TID, WAL.  The links to external
resources can then be put in the glossary definition, if needed.