Обсуждение: wrong link in acronyms.sgml

wrong link in acronyms.sgml

От
Erik Rijkers
Дата:
Hi

I just noticed that in

   https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/acronyms.html
     (i.e., doc/src/sgml/acronyms.sgml)

there is under lemma 'HOT' a link with URL:

https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=blob;f=src/backend/access/heap/README.HOT;hb=HEAD

Is this deliberate? Surely pointing 13-docs into HEAD-docs is wrong?

I see no good alternative place to point it too than:

https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=blob;f=src/backend/access/heap/README.HOT;h=68c6709aa885d39f4a77c85b6c9a7c937c1a1518;hb=refs/heads/REL_13_STABLE

I made a patch to point there.

But such links with a hash are probably not maintainable; I don't know
if a URL can be forged without the hash? Probably not.

Otherwise it may be better to remove the link altogether and just have
the acronym lemma: 'HOT' and explanation 'Heap-Only Tuple'.

Erik Rijkers

Вложения

Re: wrong link in acronyms.sgml

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On 2020-Dec-02, Erik Rijkers wrote:

> Hi
>
> I just noticed that in
>
>   https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/acronyms.html
>     (i.e., doc/src/sgml/acronyms.sgml)
>
> there is under lemma 'HOT' a link with URL:
>
> https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=blob;f=src/backend/access/heap/README.HOT;hb=HEAD
>
> Is this deliberate? Surely pointing 13-docs into HEAD-docs is wrong?

Yeah, I noticed this while working on the glossary.

This link works:
https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=blob;f=src/backend/access/heap/README.HOT;hb=REL_13_STABLE
but the problem with this one is that we'll have to update once per
release.

> Otherwise it may be better to remove the link altogether and just have the
> acronym lemma: 'HOT' and explanation 'Heap-Only Tuple'.

Yeah, I don't think pointing to the source-code README file is a great
resource.  I think starting with 13 we should add an entry in the
glossary for Heap-Only Tuple, and make the acronym entry point to the
glossary.  In fact, we could do this with several other acronyms too,
such as DDL, DML, GEQO, LSN, MVCC, SQL, TID, WAL.  The links to external
resources can then be put in the glossary definition, if needed.