Re: Default setting for enable_hashagg_disk

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: Default setting for enable_hashagg_disk
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2020-06-24 15:28:47 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 3:14 PM Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> > FWIW, my gut feeling is that we'll end up have to separate the
> > "execution time" spilling from using plain work mem, because it'll
> > trigger spilling too often. E.g. if the plan isn't expected to spill,
> > only spill at 10 x work_mem or something like that.  Or we'll need
> > better management of temp file data when there's plenty memory
> > available.
>
> So, I don't think we can wire in a constant like 10x. That's really
> unprincipled and I think it's a bad idea. What we could do, though, is
> replace the existing Boolean-valued GUC with a new GUC that controls
> the size at which the aggregate spills. The default could be -1,
> meaning work_mem, but a user could configure a larger value if desired
> (presumably, we would just treat a value smaller than work_mem as
> work_mem, and document the same).

To be clear, I wasn't actually thinking of hard-coding 10x, but having a
config option that specifies a factor of work_mem. A factor seems better
because it'll work reasonably for different values of work_mem, whereas
a concrete size wouldn't.

> I think that's actually pretty appealing. Separating the memory we
> plan to use from the memory we're willing to use before spilling seems
> like a good idea in general, and I think we should probably also do it
> in other places - like sorts.

Indeed. And then perhaps we could eventually add some reporting /
monitoring infrastructure for the cases where plan time and execution
time memory estimate/usage widely differs.

Greetings,

Andres Freund