Re: Detecting which columns a query will modify in a function calledby a trigger

От stan
Тема Re: Detecting which columns a query will modify in a function calledby a trigger
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, Mar 02, 2020 at 01:44:52PM -0700, David G. Johnston wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 2, 2020 at 1:28 PM stan <stanb@panix.com> wrote:
>
> > Envision a table with a good many columns. This table represents the "life
> > history" of a part on a project. Some of the columns need to be
> > created/modified by the engineer. Some need to be created/modified by the
> > purchasing agent, some of the columns need to be created by the receiving
> > department, some of the columns need to be created/modified by the accounts
> > payable department.
> >
> > Make sense?
> >

> On a theory level this design is insufficiently normalized.  The fact that
> you are having issues and challenges working with it suggests you should
> seriously consider a different design, one that exhibits better
> normalization properties.
>
> Alternatively you might consider just removing direct access to the table
> and provide views and/or functions that can use normal permission grants.
> Add some check constraints to the table to describe and enforce the
> inter-field relationships that are present.

Thanks for the input.

I have, indeed created views that restrict the subset of columns that a
particular job function needs access to to the appropriate ones, but
unfortunately to the best of my knowledge, I cannot INSERT/UPDATE a table
through a view.

Am I suffering from a lack of knowledge here?

neither liberty nor safety."
                        -- Benjamin Franklin