Re: Database migration across different operating systems

От Stéphane KANSCHINE
Тема Re: Database migration across different operating systems
Дата
Re: Database migration across different operating systems  (Natalie Wenz <nataliewenz@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-admin
Hey !

Le lun.  7 janv., vers 22:51, Natalie Wenz exprimait :

> We are in an unusual circumstance, where we need to move all of our
> Postgres 10 databases from their homes on servers running FreeBSD 11
> with ZFS to servers in another data center running Red Hat Linux 7.6
> (also with ZFS), with minimal downtime.
>
> I understand that the recommended, safest, approach would be to
> dump/restore. We intend to do that wherever possible.

It's not anymore since PostgreSQL have logical replication. You can
initialize you FreeBSD cluster with a pg_basebackup and you follow
updates with logical streaming.

> However, we have some databases that require high
> availability/minimal downtime that are also very large. (50 TB, for
> example)

With logical replication, is it's permanently up to date in
miliseconds, you can switch when you want.

> If it helps: The cpu architecture is the same on both hosts, and
> we’ll be running Postgres with the same version and same build
> options.

Your OS or cpu architecture doesn't matter, really :-)

Regards,
--
Stéphane KANSCHINE - https://www.hexack.fr./ - https://www.nuajik.io./
@ stephane@hexack.fr