Re: reducing the footprint of ScanKeyword (was Re: Large writablevariables)

От David Fetter
Тема Re: reducing the footprint of ScanKeyword (was Re: Large writablevariables)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Dec 27, 2018 at 07:04:41PM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On 2018-Dec-27, Tom Lane wrote:
>
> > I poked around a little on my own machines, and I can confirm that
> > Getopt::Long is present in a default Perl install-from-source at
> > least as far back as perl 5.6.1.  It's barely conceivable that some
> > packager might omit it from their minimal package, but Red Hat,
> > Apple, NetBSD, and OpenBSD all include it.  So it sure looks to
> > me like relying on it should be non-problematic.
>
> In Debian it's included in package perl-modules-5.24, which packages
> perl and libperl5.24 depend on.  I suppose it's possible to install
> perl-base and not install perl-modules, but it'd be a really bare-bones
> machine.  I'm not sure it's possible to build Postgres in such a
> machine.

$ corelist -a Getopt::Long

Data for 2018-11-29
Getopt::Long was first released with perl 5
  5          undef
  5.001      undef
  5.002      2.01
  5.00307    2.04
  5.004      2.10
  5.00405    2.19
  5.005      2.17
  5.00503    2.19
  5.00504    2.20
[much output elided]

Fortunately, this has been part of Perl core a lot further back than
we promise to support for builds, so I think we're clear to use it
everywhere we process options.

Best,
David.
Phone: +1 415 235 3778