Re: Doc comments on unsupported versions

От David Fetter
Тема Re: Doc comments on unsupported versions
Дата
Список pgsql-www
On Thu, May 03, 2018 at 07:38:43PM +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Thu, May 3, 2018 at 4:08 PM, Peter Eisentraut <
> peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>
> - Disable the link for submitting documentation comments on EOL versions.
>
> I actually thought we had done that, but it seems not. That should be an
> easy enough fix.

Excellent plan!

> - Enforce a minimum number of characters in comments (hello Stack Overflow).
>
> Do you have a suggested number? :)

5000 would cut down on the silliness pretty completely. 250 would do
the same, but be less obviously obnoxious.

> > I would even go so far as
> >
> > - Remove EOL documentation for search engine results.
>
> We do include them, but we drop their priority to the lowest possible one.
> Supposedly that should mean you can only get to them if you explicitly
> choose which version to include, but it appears search engines really don't
> give a shit about that.
>
> We have previously said we don't want to remove them completely, because
> that makes it impossible to search for historical data. But we've also said
> that maybe we have to give up, because search engines don't even let us
> de-prioritize our own pages :(

I think that by the time someone is searching for things PostgreSQL
8.2, that's specialty enough a request that they should come to
postgresql.org and do it rather than relying on someone else's search
engine.

> > - Display them in faint grey text color or otherwise make them annoying
> > to read.
>
> Unfortunately, the <blink> tag has been removed from browsers..

Fortunately, there are more modern ways to be super annoying.  For
example: https://codepen.io/anasandoval90/pen/jPXxaR

Best,
David.
Phone: +1 415 235 3778