Re: [HACKERS] Why does logical replication launcher exit with exitcode 1?

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Why does logical replication launcher exit with exitcode 1?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2017-08-02 16:52:01 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 4:38 PM, Peter Eisentraut
> > Maybe it doesn't need to be logged at all (other than perhaps as DEBUG)?
> >  A few months ago, people were complaining about too many messages about
> > background workers starting.  Now we are having complaints about
> > messages about background workers stopping.
>
> I actually don't think it's that unreasonable to get notified when
> system-wide processes like the autovacuum launcher or the logical
> replication launcher start or stop.  That's stuff somebody might want
> to know.  It's not going to generate a lot of log volume, and it might
> be useful, so why suppress it?
>
> Where things get ugly is if you start to get a high rate of messages -
> e.g. from starting and stopping parallel query workers or other kinds
> of things where you might have workers starting and stopping very
> frequently.  But surely this isn't an example of that.

I generally agree.  But in the shutdown case it's just useless and
confusing - the launcher is stopping because the entire server is being
stopped, and that's very much not clear from the message.

- Andres

Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Why does logical replication launcher exit with exitcode 1?
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Why does logical replication launcher exit with exit code 1?