Re: [HACKERS] Why does logical replication launcher exit with exitcode 1?

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Why does logical replication launcher exit with exitcode 1?
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] Why does logical replication launcher exit with exitcode 1?  (Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 4:38 PM, Peter Eisentraut
> Maybe it doesn't need to be logged at all (other than perhaps as DEBUG)?
>  A few months ago, people were complaining about too many messages about
> background workers starting.  Now we are having complaints about
> messages about background workers stopping.

I actually don't think it's that unreasonable to get notified when
system-wide processes like the autovacuum launcher or the logical
replication launcher start or stop.  That's stuff somebody might want
to know.  It's not going to generate a lot of log volume, and it might
be useful, so why suppress it?

Where things get ugly is if you start to get a high rate of messages -
e.g. from starting and stopping parallel query workers or other kinds
of things where you might have workers starting and stopping very
frequently.  But surely this isn't an example of that.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company