Re: [HACKERS] New partitioning - some feedback

От David Fetter
Тема Re: [HACKERS] New partitioning - some feedback
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] New partitioning - some feedback  (Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh.bapat@enterprisedb.com>)
Re: [HACKERS] New partitioning - some feedback  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 05:33:34PM -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 2:15 AM, Amit Langote
> <Langote_Amit_f8@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
> > I posted a patch upthread which makes \d hide partitions
> > (relispartition = true relations) and include them if the newly
> > proposed '!' modifier is specified.  The '+' modifier is being
> > used to show additional detail of relations chosen to be listed at
> > all, so it seemed like a bad idea to extend its meaning to also
> > dictate whether partitions are to be listed.
>
> +1.  That'd be a mess.

With utmost respect, it's less messy than adding '!' to the already
way too random and mysterious syntax of psql's \ commands.  What
should '\det!' mean?  What about '\dT!'?

> > Actually, if \d had shown RELKIND_PARTITIONED_TABLE tables as of
> > Type "partitioned table", we wouldn't need a separate flag for
> > marking a table as having partitions.
>
> I think that is false.  Whether something is partitioned and whether
> it is a partition are independent concerns.

So whatever we land on needs to mention partition_of and
has_partitions.  Is that latter just its immediate partitions?
Recursion all the way down?  Somewhere in between?

Best,
David.

Remember to vote!