Re: [HACKERS] New partitioning - some feedback

От Greg Stark
Тема Re: [HACKERS] New partitioning - some feedback
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 10 July 2017 at 23:46, David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 05:33:34PM -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 2:15 AM, Amit Langote
>> <Langote_Amit_f8@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
>> > I posted a patch upthread which makes \d hide partitions
>> > (relispartition = true relations) and include them if the newly
>> > proposed '!' modifier is specified.  The '+' modifier is being
>> > used to show additional detail of relations chosen to be listed at
>> > all, so it seemed like a bad idea to extend its meaning to also
>> > dictate whether partitions are to be listed.
>>
>> +1.  That'd be a mess.
>
> With utmost respect, it's less messy than adding '!' to the already
> way too random and mysterious syntax of psql's \ commands.  What
> should '\det!' mean?  What about '\dT!'?

Fwiw as, I believe, the first person to make this complaint I would be
fine with + listing all partitions. Imho adding an orthogonal "!"
would be too much mental overhead for the user.

If you want something different perhaps we can invent ++ for "even
more information" and list partitions only if two plusses are
provided. (I don't think the other way around makes sense since you
might need a way to list permissions and comments without listing
every partition if you're on a system with an unmanageable number of
partitions but you never absolutely need a way to list partitions
without the comments and permissions). At least that doesn't require
the user to learn a new flag and how it interacts with everything
else.

--
greg

Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] RFC: Key normalization for nbtree
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] RFC: Key normalization for nbtree