[HACKERS] Re: Clarifying "server starting" messaging in pg_ctl start without--wait

От Ryan Murphy
Тема [HACKERS] Re: Clarifying "server starting" messaging in pg_ctl start without--wait
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] Re: Clarifying "server starting" messaging in pg_ctlstart without --wait  (Beena Emerson <memissemerson@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
make installcheck-world:  tested, failed
Spec compliant:           tested, passed
Documentation:            tested, passed

(Though I could not check "make installcheck-world" as passed because it failed 1 test, I think it basically SHOULD
pass- see my comment below.)

Patch looks good to me and does what we talked about, and Docs seem clear and correct.

I was able to build Postgres and run pg_ctl and observe that it waited by default for the 'start' action, which
addressesmy original concern.

`make` and `make install` went fine, and `make check` did as well, but `make installcheck-world` said (after a while):

=======================1 of 55 tests failed.
=======================

The diff summary is here:

*** /home/my_secret_local_username/my/secret/path/to/postgres/src/interfaces/ecpg/test/expected/connect-test5.stderr
2016-08-2310:00:53.000000000 -0500

--- /home/my_secret_local_username/my/secret/path/to/postgres/src/interfaces/ecpg/test/results/connect-test5.stderr
2017-01-0600:08:40.000000000 -0600

***************
*** 36,42 **** [NO_PID]: sqlca: code: 0, state: 00000 [NO_PID]: ECPGconnect: opening database <DEFAULT> on <DEFAULT>
port<DEFAULT>  for user regress_ecpg_user2 [NO_PID]: sqlca: code: 0, state: 00000

! [NO_PID]: ECPGconnect: could not open database: FATAL:  database "regress_ecpg_user2" does not exist  [NO_PID]:
sqlca:code: 0, state: 00000 [NO_PID]: ecpg_finish: connection main closed

--- 36,42 ---- [NO_PID]: sqlca: code: 0, state: 00000 [NO_PID]: ECPGconnect: opening database <DEFAULT> on <DEFAULT>
port<DEFAULT>  for user regress_ecpg_user2 [NO_PID]: sqlca: code: 0, state: 00000

! [NO_PID]: ECPGconnect: could not open database: FATAL:  database "my_secret_local_username" does not exist  [NO_PID]:

*** 73,79 **** [NO_PID]: sqlca: code: -220, state: 08003 [NO_PID]: ECPGconnect: opening database <DEFAULT> on <DEFAULT>
port<DEFAULT>  for user regress_ecpg_user2 [NO_PID]: sqlca: code: 0, state: 00000

! [NO_PID]: ECPGconnect: could not open database: FATAL:  database "regress_ecpg_user2" does not exist  [NO_PID]:
sqlca:code: 0, state: 00000 [NO_PID]: ecpg_finish: connection main closed

--- 73,79 ---- [NO_PID]: sqlca: code: -220, state: 08003 [NO_PID]: ECPGconnect: opening database <DEFAULT> on <DEFAULT>
port<DEFAULT>  for user regress_ecpg_user2 [NO_PID]: sqlca: code: 0, state: 00000

! [NO_PID]: ECPGconnect: could not open database: FATAL:  database "my_secret_local_username" does not exist  [NO_PID]:
sqlca:code: 0, state: 00000 [NO_PID]: ecpg_finish: connection main closed

I don't actually believe this to indicate a problem though - I think perhaps there's a problem with this test, or with
howI am running it.  The only diff was that when it (correctly) complained of a nonexistent database, it referred to my
usernamethat I was logged in as, instead of the test database name "regress_ecpg_user2".  I don't think this has
anythingto do with the changes to pg_ctl.

I could be wrong though!  I am going to leave this as "Needs review" until someone more familiar with the project
double-checksthis.