Re: Reviewing freeze map code

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: Reviewing freeze map code
Дата
Re: Reviewing freeze map code  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2016-05-18 18:25:39 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Josh berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> > Maybe this is the wrong perspective.  I mean, is there a reason we even
> > need this option, other than a lack of any other way to do a full table
> > scan to check for corruption, etc.?  If we're only doing this for
> > integrity checking, then maybe it's better if it becomes a function,
> > which could be later extended with additional forensic features?
>
> Yes, I've been wondering that too.  VACUUM is not meant as a corruption
> checker, and should not be made into one, so what is the point of this
> flag exactly?

Well, so far a VACUUM FREEZE (or just setting vacuum_freeze_table_age =
0) verified the correctness of the visibility map; and that found a
number of bugs.  Now visibilitymap grew additional responsibilities,
with a noticeable risk of data eating bugs, and there's no way to verify
whether visibilitymap's frozen bits are set correctly.

> (AFAIK, "select count(*) from table" would offer a similar amount of
> sanity checking as a full-table VACUUM scan does, so it's not like
> we've removed functionality with no near-term replacement.)

I don't think that'd do anything comparable to    /*     * As of PostgreSQL 9.2, the visibility map bit should never be
setif     * the page-level bit is clear.  However, it's possible that the bit     * got cleared after we checked it and
beforewe took the buffer     * content lock, so we must recheck before jumping to the conclusion     * that something
badhas happened.     */    else if (all_visible_according_to_vm && !PageIsAllVisible(page)             &&
VM_ALL_VISIBLE(onerel,blkno, &vmbuffer))    {        elog(WARNING, "page is not marked all-visible but visibility map
bitis set in relation \"%s\" page %u",             relname, blkno);        visibilitymap_clear(onerel, blkno,
vmbuffer);   }

If we had a checking module for all this it'd possibly be sufficient,
but we don't.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Сообщение: Re: Reviewing freeze map code
Сообщение: Re: Reviewing freeze map code